10.21.2010

Mary Had A Little Lamb

The funniest thing happened to me today.
I think it is somewhat embarrassing though.
So on Thursdays I go to teach piano in The Bluffs (Seacliff area)
It is a gated community.
The workers see me so much that all I have to do is
flash my pass to get in.
But, there is a new worker there, so he stops me.
A couple weeks ago he told me that he was laid off
from his old job and is now working the gate.
Today he stopped me once again.
Here is how our conversation went...
(we will call him Jim
who is probably about in his 50's)

Jim: "Emily, are you on the Masons permanent guest list?"
Me: "I think so."
Jim: "Okay just let me check really quick....
OH! You are the piano teacher!"
Me: "Yes I am!" (smiling)
Jim comes over and starts singing some random notes/scales.
Jim: (singing) "This is an E flat. Right?"
Me: "Yeah that sounds good. I don't have perfect pitch."
Jim: "Some people say I am pretty close to it."
Me: "That's neat. I'd love to have perfect pitch."
Jim: "Do you sing?"
Me: "Yes I do." (mistake)
Jim: "Good. Sing a song for me!"
Me: "Oh goodness. I'd rather not."
He kept pressuring me to sing.
And wouldn't let it go.
I was laughing and getting embarrassed.
Jim: "If you sing I will let you in."
Me: "You will let me in if I sing for you?"
Jim: "Yes! But...you can't tell anyone I held you hostage."
Me: "Are you serious? I'd rather not sing."
Jim: "Oh come on. It's not that bad.
Just sing like Mary Had a Little Lamb.
It will make my night"
Me: "Fine. I'll do it."
(I'm probably blushing really bad by this point.)
Me: "I'm not that good just to let you know."
Jim: "Thats alright. It will be fun.
I'll harmonize with you.
Ready? GO!"
He started to give me different notes I should start on.
That was pretty funny.
Low. High. All over.
So I start singing Mary Had A Little Lamb
(on the note I wanted to start on).
Mary Had a Little Lamb
(Jim starts to harmonize)
Little Lamb
Little Lamb.
Mary Had a Little Lamb
Her fleece was white as snow.
I started to laugh after.
Jim: "Good job! That was cool.
Pound it!"
Me: "Oh thanks!"
He finally opens the gate for me.
As I am driving through he yells...
Jim: "AND YOU DO HAVE A GOOD VOICE!"

OH my gooness!! That was hilarious.
I told my piano students and they just laughed at me
and they told me that I shouldn't have told him I sing.



And of course, pictures.
I love this picture of little Luke.
We were ready for church and
I thought he looked so handsome.
How adorable is this...?
The kids made boats out of water bottles and wanted to race them.
Damon was so kind enough to make me mine.
Thanks Damon.
Until next time...
Have a fabulous week :)

2 comments:

  1. ah hahahahahaha! does my favorite latino man work there? he was probably like 40 but he was a handsome man. that was also in like high school when i went to claire's house like every other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my gosh emily..i never comment on blogs but this is worthy!! SOOO hilarious I am laughing out loud. what a weird guy.

    ReplyDelete